- 0800 404 202
1. Every 90 minutes a New Zealander dies from coronary heart disease.
2. On average, there is one death in NZ every 15 minutes and 54 seconds.
3. Cancer was the leading cause of death for both males and females in New Zealand in 2009, accounting for 28.9% of all deaths.
4. Cardiovascular disease (heart, stroke and blood vessel disease) is still the leading cause of death in New Zealand, accounting for 30% of deaths annually.
5. It is estimated that 5,000 people in New Zealand die prematurely from smoking each year - this equates to around 12 people a day dying from smoking.